Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Treadmill Desk



Overview
At July’s Ignite San Diego, I saw Ernesto give a talk where he showed his treadmill desk. Yesterday, I made one for myself.

Am I able to work while using it? I’m writing this blog right now while walking at 1.5 mph. 

Verdict
I’m happy with the desk. I’m walking at 1.5 mph which is about right for me, sometimes I need to slow it down to 1 mph depending on the detail of work I am doing or if I am worried about sweating. You don’t sweat a lot but even so 2 hours of small sweat isn’t great if you are going to a meeting. I have not yet gotten to try it out pair programming (except remotely, which doesn’t count). I’m not sure whether or not you need 2 treadmills for that.

Cost
$1250 total.  
Let’s break that down.
Treadmill - $1,000
Desk - $250
I’m happy with my choices, but I believe a treadmill bought off of craigslist can dramatically improve the bottom line here.



F.A.Q
Q. Do the controls on the floor matter?
A. No, you aren't changing the speed often or at all, and it's moving slow.

Q. Do you like it?
A. Yes

Q. Do you sweat?
A. Not at 1 mph, a little at 1.5 mph

The Parts
The Tread Mill

I got a AFG 3.0 AT treadmill. It cost $800 on sale at sports chalet. I also got the extended 5 year warranty which was an additional $200. I don’t usually get the warranty, but thought I might be using this a bit more than the average person.
It’s worth noting this thing is HEAVY (350 lbs) so get some help moving it. 
The Desk

Ikea came thru nicely with the Fredrik 50 inch long desk($200). I modified the setup to put the top self at the bottom (which you need to do 1st) but otherwise it works perfectly.
Extras. I also got a 48 inch power strip ($25 at Fry’s) which I love and would recommend for any desk. A Belkin usb hub ($25), which makes it easier to hook up the laptop to the keyboard and mouse. 



The Build
The assembly of the treadmill looks quite complicated, but I wouldn’t know because it turns out you don’t have to do it. You don’t want the hand rails anyways. and the console is just sitting at the side of the base.
The desk is likewise easy to assemble. I placed the main desk layer so that when walking on the treadmill my arms naturally bent to that height. I am also liking having the  screen at the higher height, so i don’t have to bend over, which is a bit hard while walking.


Links

16 comments:

Loren Donelson said...

We had a couple of these at Google when I was working there a few years ago. The engineers loved 'em.

Mike Clement said...

Is this setup still working for you?

Anonymous said...

I ended up getting the Lifespan tr1200 desk treadmill before I read your post. That's a really good idea.

I'm also curious, are you still using your treadmill desk?

albina N muro said...

This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. Truly, one of the best posts I've ever witnessed to see in my whole life. zigTech 710

Maximilian said...

I'm happy with the desk. I'm walking at 1.5 mph which is about right for me, sometimes I need to slow it down to 1 mph depending on the detail ... utreadmilldesk.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Great information shared by you about Afton motorised treadmill, really appreciable and quality post. Keep sharing!!! Thanks.

Riya Pawar said...

Nice blog. Thanks for sharing about motorised treadmills.

Rickyponting said...

Hi, thanks for reviewing your treadmill desk but I guess there are many other options available in the market that are cheaper and better than the one that you have bought. Well, there are many things to consider while buying any product and if someone is willing to buy a treadmill desk then I should recommend to take a look at the list of best treadmill desks. I bet you will find the best one from this link.

Unknown said...

I just read your review about the treadmill that you are using. You have tried your best to define its advantages and how it works but still there is doubt in my mind that it will not be suitable for those who are looking to buy a lightweight yet quality made treadmill for their home use. Well, if someone is looking to buy quality made options for their home then I prefer all the new buyers to check this list of treadmills for home use. I bet you will find the best one for your home use.

Unknown said...

Very good write-up. I certainly love this website. Thanks!
http://editorsviews.com/how-to-lose-weight-in-a-week/

Unknown said...

Great post. Thank you for sharing this valuable information. Treadmill workouts are a convenient and effective way of Exercise. But before going think about your fitness objectives and which Treadmill is apt for you. Check the different types of Treadmills and their features here: Vs Guides

Unknown said...

Great post. Actually I like the idea that you have actually used an under the desk treadmill. Have seen and even reviewed some from Amazon. Also noting the speed you use the treadmill is great.
Do you change into some sports shoes or do you just use your office shoes? There are some shoes that are best suited for use on treadmills such as these ones that I have reviewed http://www.homefitnessarena.com/best-running-shoe-for-treadmill/

Nortus Fitness said...

Glad to found this amazing guide here. Visit us for Best Treadmill in India

James said...

Found these great treadmills for 400 lb weight capacity

Unknown said...

Its really a nice post related to slimline treadmill

theGizmoDen said...

Used to have these in the offices for a startup i used to work for while i was working on Kodi for PS4 ; they're great piece of kit and everybody loved them.